Split Rock Lighthouse

In 1905, the Mataafa Storm ravaged Lake Superior sinking 29 ships. In response, what we now know as the Split Rock Lighthouse was built. Constructed in an area with no road access, all materials were shipped in by boat, and then hoisted by crane up the sheer 130-ft cliff. The lighthouse was completed and first lit in 1910 and after 59 years of service, the light was retired. The lighthouse has now been restored to it’s 1920’s appearance, and the area is a Minnesota State Park and National Historic Landmark.